Feeling vigorously inspired by jamalz thoughts regarding the recent FaceIt spectacle, I've decided to open up a thread which promotes community input, tips, recommendations et cetera concerning the upcoming LAN event.
I'm going to split it all up neatly into different categories - Stream settings, general tips, things to avoid, things that we want to see, a wishlist.. I'll think of something.
Developers and organizers will be able to see highlights without going knee-deep in murky ESR threads.
Why am I doing this? Because I feel like although organizers, admins, volunteers and everyone else involved are working their ass off to make things run smoothly, sometimes all they need is a bit of a reminder. Scrolling through endless twitch chat emoticons and memes and looking for "solutions" is redundant once the games start.
What exactly am I looking for? Check the aforementioned jamalz post - Team games are incredibly hard to stream, most stream configs don't have binds for followkiller / followpowerup etc
Are you expecting them to cater to every stupid idea ESR comes up with? Definitely not, that's why I have a wishlist section and the stupid idea section, which I believe will be the most active one. Let's hope for a year without spinning logos.
Big update, got a few answers, here goes:
Will timers count up or down?
- counting up wont happen
Will there be multiple streams?
- multiple streams wont happen, no bandwidth, both internet wise and people wise
Who is responsible for the production?
- like last year, FaceIt will be running the show, cfg will be provided by organizers - expect it to mostly run like last year did except hopefully a little more efficient since every team is playing at the same time due to swiss
How will you handle the followkiller requests?
- the new spec hud should make it easy to pick out players, I don't know if that means they will or wont use follow* but the option is there
What about cfgs/demos, will they be saved somewhere?
- cfg and demos will be but you wont be able to playback demos since they're on the steamworks version which changes the protocol
How many matches will we be able to see?
- the way the swiss tournament works one round cant start until the previous round finishes. There's something like 40 or 50 matches that'll be casted in the end
Last but not least:
- some spec bugs that make following after readying up not kick you to freecam are fixed
Don't think of this as a list of demands, rather as a wishlist from a hopefully audience. Everyone sitting at home is very well aware that QuakeCon is now much bigger than an online tourney and that there's much more emphasis on the convention itself, which happens to host a game that we all love and follow.
- Use followkiller wisely. Don't just leave it on, instead - search for stacked players using the team layout [explanation]
- Turn followpowerup OFF / use it wisely [explanation]
- Use streaming specific binds (such as follow player X, followpowerup, followkiller)
- Show scoreboard more and bring up personal stats often
- Split roles for casters, lead/analyst
- Timer counting up
- Make use of new spectator UI [explanation]
- Use /players to follow specific players[explanation]
- Don't miss the first seconds of the game
- Timer counting up
- When a game is over and there are other matches still going on, switch to them instead of going on a break
- Start on time, try to stick to the schedule
- More emphasis on streaming matches, less on raffles
- Allow several streams and try to show as many matches as possible
- Use the dead air for interviews
- External cams
- Interview players
- Give English speaking players a chance at casting
- Run a test stream before matches start
- Save, upload and store demos and configs. Make them accessible.
- Balance caster/in-game volume [explanation]
- External cams
- No raffles
- Ability to change shorts at the pool
- Seperate players by ethnicity and let them battle it out.
- check out the night life http://dfwnites.com/clublist.asp?a=2
xou, Clau, dogja, pill, He4rTL3sS, iavoal, kodisha, Lw)f, jamalz, milestorm, vanqu1sh,p0rt, Disrepute, twister_, Grota, stripy, fnx-za, magadog ... and everyone else who contributed to the discussion
Edited by Teen Queen at 11:05 CDT, 20 July 2015 - 37763 Hits